Sunday, July 1, 2012

Text Messaging

My eldest daughter is 14 years old. At the moment she is going out with a well-brought up boy who is 2 years older. They hardly ever see each other, which suits us as parents just fine. They go to different high schools and he plans to become a professional golfer, so he’s always jet-setting inside South Africa from one golf tournament to the next. Also, his parents don’t allow him to socialize much, because they want him to focus on his grades when he’s not playing golf.


About a week ago, he sent her a text message at night. He asked her what she was doing. She texted him back to say that she was on her laptop (not literally, of course) and asked him what he was doing. He said he was on his way home and he could hardly see his mobile phone. Being the no-nonsense kind of girl that my daughter is, she asked him if he was being driven home by car. He replied that he was on his motorbike. She quickly sent him back another message, which stated that he must get off his phone immediately and not reply until he got home. Thankfully, he listened to her and later sent her a text to say that he had arrived home safely.


It just goes to show that young people, even the ones with strict parents like her boyfriend’s parents, still do foolish things. Recently, I’ve seen two different images on the internet of car accidents where the car was completely written off and a caption that read, “Hope the text was worth it.”

6 comments:

  1. A lot children with strict parents are the ones that are likely to do foolish things because they want to rebel against their parents. Its good that your daughter reminded her friend to do right.
    Following from the Exposure 99% Weekday Blog Hop.
    http://newyearsresolutionexercise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that can also happen with teenagers of strict parents. I can't see that you are following with Google Friend Connect. Please check. I'll follow back. Have a great Sunday!

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of my childhood days. Having a strict, no-nonsense parents always made me do things against their wishes. However, this got me in a lot of trouble and I am still paying for some of them at the moment.

    I am indeed happy that your daughter reminded him of the dangers of texting and riding at the same time. She acted maturely I must add.

    It is my first time here and I must say that this post awakens the importance of being earnest in everything we do. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mykey for stopping by! I hope you'll visit often and feel like part of the family where you can laugh with us and cry with us. God bless!

      Delete
  3. I think we all make bad choices no matter how well we are brought up. Texting is very dangerous, especially on the motorbike! I really need to work on driving and not talking on the phone too. Both hands on the wheel, right?! There is precious cargo in back! Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! Maybe you can get a hands-free phone for the car. I think I would be too distracted to talk and drive safely. In S.A. it's against the law to be on your phone while driving, unless you have a speaker phone or head-set, and I think that should be the case in every State in the U.S. too.

      I've linked up at your Mom's Library. This week has quite a number of nice-looking topics. Blessings to you!

      Delete

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena