Friday, March 20, 2015

Baking Buttermilk Biscuits and a Blog Hop

Welcome to my weekend blog hop -
Make My Saturday Sweet #121!

My blog is best viewed in Google Chrome

For those of you who were looking out for last week's Make My Saturday Sweet, the blog hop did not happen. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. I am still behind in catching up on comments and hope to get a lot done this weekend.


Amanda and I baked buttermilk biscuits last Saturday for breakfast. We were still in our pyjamas. Amanda is a great helper in the kitchen and I got her involved as much as possible. She even helped take some of today's photos, including a selfie.

I watched this Video from All Recipes before proceeding. I've made scones a number of times and the method is very similar. The trick is to have ice cold butter and to not over-work the dough. With us at the end of our South African summer, I had to prepare the butter ahead of time and freeze it. I grated cold butter and dusted it with flour to keep it from sticking and forming one big mass.

For the buttermilk, I used Milk Kefir, which I've been making at home since Amanda's birthday. I was given kefir grains from a friend.

While my buttermilk biscuits were baking in the oven, I whipped up a small batch of Honey Butter. I recommend adding as much or as little honey to the butter according to your liking.

You can find the full recipe below or click on the links provided.

Ingredients for Buttermilk Biscuits
with frozen butter that got a bit clumpy
and my milk kefir instead of buttermilk
We doubled the recipe and put
the extras in the freezer.

Measuring

Whisking

Pouring

Stirring

Folding

Rolling - do this step gently

Amanda took all the photos where you see my hands.

Amanda's selfie

I think I pressed my thumb print more than necessary,
so I used a lighter touch the second time.

Whipped honey butter

You should trim the baking paper.
I didn't the first time and scorched it.

Honey Butter and Buttermilk Biscuits

Delicious Buttermilk Biscuits

CHEF JOHN'S
BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled in
freezer and cut into thin slices
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
2 tablespoons buttermilk for brushing

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
3. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
4. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until
the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 minutes.
5. Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture.
Pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk; stir until just combined.
6. Turn dough onto a floured work surface, pat together into a rectangle.
7. Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs,
and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat twice more,
folding and pressing dough a total of three times.
8. Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick.
9. Cut out 12 biscuits using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter.
10. Transfer biscuits to the prepared baking sheet.
Press an indent into the top of each biscuit with your thumb.
11. Brush the tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
12. Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.


*********************
My Latest Book Reviews

Mother Chicken's Eggs
This would make a
wonderful gift for
Easter


Whispers of a Faded Dreamer
Christian Fiction


*********************

Cape Epic Special


We have a view of this exciting
international cycling race from
our balcony and kitchen window.
I will update it with more
photos later today.

Click on the photos to see them larger.
It's totally worth it!


*********************


Now you can order your own personalized
blog buttons with HTML, Facebook covers
or collages (example: Pinterest-ing pins)!
Just visit my page: Blog Buttons to Order

*********************

Make My Saturday Sweet is a weekend blog hop for all family friendly blogs. You are welcome to link your favorite post from the past week(s) and to visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment. It's a really easy and fun way to make new friends and to catch up on old acquaintances.

Now on to my blog hop...

Amanda’s Books and More

It's time for another Make My Saturday Sweet blog hop!

Join me (your host) for this fun and easy hop.
All family friendly blogs are welcome!

If you host your own blog hop(s), then feel free to
link them on my Blog Hops page!

I would love for you to follow me on
I'm also now on Instagram!

Here are the easy rules:
  • Follow Tina (your host) on one or more links listed above.
  • Link up a post from your family friendly blog.
  • Please try to add my hop button on your post or side-bar.
  • Share about this hop on Twitter, Google+ or Facebook.
  • Visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment.
Blog Button Code:

Amanda’s Books and More

This is a blog hop!

Visit my Blog Hops page to see what link parties I take part in.

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena